Snapchat is an instant photo sharing app for iOS and Android. It has recently gained a lot of attention owing to the fact that the company turned down Facebook’s 3 billion dollar acquisition offer. Snapchat users can exchange disposable picture messages with one another. Just take a picture with your phone camera, do some optional editing, and add a text message of your choice. Then send it to your friend, who will be able to open and view your snap message for a limited time only (maximum 10 seconds), after which the snap is no longer accessible. Here we’ll tell you how to get the billion dollar Snapchat on your PC.
How to get Snapchat for PC
Although there is no official Mac or PC version of Snapchat available, but it is possible to run the Android app for Snapchat on PC.
Download and install Snapchat on PC
First we need a suitable Android emulator to run Android apps. BlueStacks is the most popular Android emulator that runs most Android apps on PC and Mac. In this article, we’ll be using BlueStacks as the Android emulator for running Snapchat on PC.
But you won’t be able to run Snapchat Android app directly from BlueStacks as it relies on Google Play Services which is not available / conflicts with other apps in BlueStacks by default.
For Snapchat to work inside BlueStacks, we need to install a fresh copy of the Google Play Services app and then install Snapchat from Google Play Store.
- Download and install BlueStacks.
- Download and install ADW Launcher on BlueStacks.
- Launch ADW Launcher in BlueStacks. Now you will be able to access the Android Home screen.
- Go to Settings >> Applications>> Manage Applications. Select Show All option to list all apps.
- Select Google Services Framework in the Apps list and click the Clear Data button.
- Click the Force Stop button and wait for the service to stop and then uninstall Google Services Framework by clicking the Uninstall button.
- Now install Google Play Services.APK file in BlueStacks.
- Then install Google Services Framework from APK file.
- Now quit BlueStacks app from the taskbar and restart it.
- After BlueStacks restarts, open up ADW Launcher and go to Google Play Store within the launcher. You need to sign in to Google Play using your GMail account credentials.
- Search for Snapchat in Google Play and install it.
How to run Snapchat on PC
- Open BlueStacks and launch Snapchat from the Home Screen shortcut.
- If the app starts in portrait mode rather than tablet mode, go to BlueStacks Settings >> Manage Apps >> Snapchat and Check the Tablet option.
- Register or login to Snapchat with your credentials.
- Add friends to Snapchat by inviting them through SMS or directly adding them with username.
- Swipe to the right / left to reveal the camera screen and take a photo with your webcam.
- Add some text to your snap or edit it using color pens.
- Tap on the Clock icon in the bottom left corner and select the message timeout value, usually somewhere between 3 seconds to 10 seconds.
- When done, just hit the Send button on the bottom right corner.
- Select the Snapchat contact to send the photo and confirm.
Received snaps will automatically go to Snapchat Inbox. But you can only open and view them once. The snap message expires after the set timeout period.